St Cuthbert’s Church

Allendale, Northumberland, UK

Home

Welcome to the website of St Cuthbert’s Church, Allendale, Northumberland.

There has been a church in Allendale since very early times, the earliest record dating back to 1174 when, in an agreement entered into by the Bishop of Durham and the Archbishop of York, it was covenanted that the chapel and the churchyard at Allendale be vested in the Prior of Hexham. There is further mention of the church in Allendale in 1294 by Bishop Romayne of York.

The church was rebuilt in the 14th century and dedicated to St Mary. This was a small, plain and unpretentious building with a lead roof. On the west end was a belfry with two small bells. There is an engraving from a drawing of this church on the wall of the north aisle of the present church.

In 1807 the church was entirely rebuilt, the new building being very plain but providing additional accommodation. Then in 1873 the present church was constructed in the geometrical pointed style of architecture, the architects being R.G.Johnson and Thomas Austin. The cost of the building was £1800.

The church was formally a perpetual curacy but was declared a rectory in 1866, when it was dedicated to St Cuthbert.

Rev Jon Russell

The Rectory, 16, Forstersteads, Allendale. NE47  9AS

Tel: 01434 618607 rector@allendalechurch.co.uk

 

Church Wardens:

Mrs S Milburn Tel: 01434 683237

 

Mr P Mercer Tel: 01434 618312 

 

PCC Secretary:

Mrs J Lumley Tel 01434 345900

Allendale is on the B6295 road which links the Tyne Valley and the Wear Valley.

 

St Cuthbert’s is in the village square.

The Rector